Monday, June 27, 2011

Awaited Recipes

A while ago, I talked about some recipes that I had tried out and I got a lot of requests for these recipes. Well, I am finally going to post them :)

I am always looking for new SIMPLE and CHEAP recipes. I don't have a lot of time to cook and I also don't have a lot of money to buy ingredients with so here are a few of our favorites that we use often!

Homemade Flour Tortillas: I thought this would be a lot more work than it actually was. They are pretty simple to make and cheaper than buying at the store and are SOOOOO yummy!


You can find the recipe here: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2357,154176-235203,00.html This recipe makes about 8 tortillas so you might want to double it. Our very favorite way to eat these is with black beans, some cheese, corn, and rice - simple and very good!!! We also have used them for breakfast burritos and tacos!


Another family favorite is Easy Homemade Macaroni and Cheese. We used to always reach for the blue box but as we are trying harder to cut out artificial foods in our house, I decided to try it out. It only takes a few more minutes than the blue box and it is sooo much better! And this recipe makes a BIG pan of the stuff!


The recipe can be found here: http://www.feedourfamiliesblog.com/2011/02/quick-and-easy-homemade-macaroni-and-cheese.html After I make it, I always put breadcrumbs on it and bake it for about 10 minutes at 350. It is wonderful with some fresh corn on the cob and bread rolls!!!


A new, cheap and very easy recipe I am trying today is Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken Drumsticks:

This was so simple and very cheap. Drumsticks come on sale a lot so I figured why not try this with my sweet and sour recipe. So I threw them in the slow cooker today and they smell fabulous!



The recipe for the sweet and sour sauce is:

1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
6 tbsp Ketchup
2 tbsp soy sauce


I just poured that over the chicken in the slow cooker and have had it on low for about 8 hours and it looks really good. I will throw some rice on before Peter gets home and I am sure it will make for a great dinner tonight!

Anyone else have any cheap and easy dinner recommendations?

1 comments:

Heather A said...

I made this the other day and it was really good...Ryan didn't even need to add hot sauce (it's not really spicy but it has plenty of flavor) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ten-minute-szechuan-chicken/detail.aspx