Friday, June 14, 2013

Atlanta Day's 4, 5, and 6

The rest of our time in Atlanta has become a bit of a whirlwind.  Here are a few more of the highlights of our time together in Atlanta!

Us Oregonian's have a local donut shopped called Voodoo donuts that has some pretty amazing donuts.  A few months ago I came across an article ranking the top donut shops in America.  Voodoo made the list at #9 and I happened to notice that the #1 ranked was in the heart of midtown Atlanta. I figured since it was so close to where we were staying that we HAD to go try these babies out. The donut shop was about a mile walk through the Georgia Tech campus which was fun to take a look at. I think we got a pretty good look at the whole campus and there was even some sort of filming going on at their baseball field this day.  The only drawback is that the weather was very hot and humid and us Oregonian's aren't even defrosted yet at this time of year.  So our un-acclimated bodies were literally dripping with sweat on this midday trek!  Seriously, can someone please explain to me how everyone in the downtown area was wearing jeans and cardigans all week?!?!  I just don't get it!

So, back to the donuts!

Look at these beauties!  There were toffee donuts and cream donuts and strawberry cream donuts and oreo cream donuts and my personal favorite the roasted marshmallow cream smore donuts!  The poor peanut butter cup donates had melted in the heat by the time we made it back to the room.

They were really really good, and I can totally see where Sublime donuts takes the cake in the donut world!

Another fun thing we were able to do is go on a date that I have been trying for YEARS to get my hubby to take me on.  Right near the hotel we found a Melting Pot restaurant.  Since we had hit up all of the restaurants we wanted to visit my husband obliged and took me on this fabulous date!

The food was very good and a lot of fun to cook up!  We had a really great date night and I am so glad that we finally got to go there! A funny sidenote is that they gave us an idea of how long to cook all of our meat, and I love my literal and precise husband who whipped out his smartphone timer to make sure and cook everything to the exact time they told us!

The dessert fondue was AMAZING!  Seriously, that alone is worth stopping by the restaurant!

It became a very good thing that we #1 chose to eat right across the street from the hotel and #2 chose to eat an early dinner.  By the time we walked out of the restaurant, the sky had changed from sunny to really dark and even more humid - who knew that was even possible!  We knew something was about to go down!

I can't get this picture to face the right direction no matter what I try, so pretty much that icon in the middle is where we were, and that was the mess we got caught up in.  I live and love Oregon for a reason - we don't get extreme weather.  We don't get hurricanes, we don't get extreme heat, we don't get a lot of snow and my biggest fear - we don't get tornadoes.  My biggest fear in life is tornadoes. So, to come home from our amazing dinner and hear the news say how this storm caught them off guard and that there could be some tornadoes with this thing - yeah, not exactly what I wanted to hear.

I've been through some crazy storms on our visits to Colorado and Wyoming, but man alive nothing like this.  Constant lightning flashes and a building nearby got struck - it was not my favorite thing but it was kind of cool too!

Our flight home wasn't scheduled to leave until 7PM.  Peter had class for half of the day so we had to schedule an evening flight. So we did a little bit more sightseeing and visited the Martin Luther King Jr Memorial.  I especially felt this was an important place to visit, because without his bravery and the change he demanded, we would not be able to parent one of our children today.   

I feel that being a west coaster, MLKJ's pioneering isn't as prevalent a part of our history or thinking. But visiting the memorial and actually seeing all he did really struck a cord for me as I think about my son and the way he could be treated just based on the color of his skin.

After the memorial, we made the trek back to the hotel and grabbed our bags and got a taxi ride to the airport.  We didn't have anything else left so we were at the airport way before our flight but we figured we would settle in somewhere and just hang out and wait.  Well, those plans were cut short.

This is a view of our hotel room at the airport, watching the planes land.  It turns out there was a problem at our home airport in Portland that caused a trickle affect which means our flight was delayed an hour which meant there was no way we would make our 40 minute connection in Denver.  They tried their hardest to find us something and we were in process of getting booked on to 2 different flights where in a roundabout way we would end up in Portland within 15 minutes of each other, but they lost my flight right in the middle of booking it.  So, we were forced to stay over another night here in Atlanta with a very early flight leaving tomorrow morning and we will be home to our kids (hopefully) before lunchtime tomorrow!  I cannot wait to squeeze those babies!!!