Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Run Baby Run

Well, in 100 days - this will be us:



If that reality isn't enough to get my behind in gear, well then I don't know what will!

But for real, we are nearing the 1 year mark since we started running and I am pretty darn happy with where we're at!  We even took the whole month of December and April off, and we're still going strong!

I never ever thought I would be able to run. I'm not good at it and since an injury from basketball in high school my knees have never worked the same or had any desire to allow me to run.  We started running when I was about 2 months post partum after my 2nd pregnancy in a very short time frame, the second one with COMPLETE inactivity as I was on bedrest.  I say all of this because, if I can get running - anyone can!

At first, I really really hated it.  I was no good at it and could barely run slowly for 30 seconds.  My knees were in agony and I had to take things very, very slow. I even wondered if I would be able to run but with some conditioning and really dumb looking knee straps I can run pain free now! My husband on the other hand bounced back quickly from inactivity to his quick and steady high school track status.  Running comes naturally and easily for him, and I was completely jealous!  But I pressed on as I had the goal to be able to run a 5K.  Now I know that is not a very lofty goal and many can do that easily with hardly any training. But for me, it has been a challenge.  In September, I ran my first 5K.  I did terrible and it left me really wanting another try.  In March, I conquered my 2nd 5K and was much happier with my performance although I aspire to do better in July!

I had mentally prepared for the 5K in Disneyland and looked forward to being in good shape and finishing in a great time.  But in January I discovered that the 5K was  no more and had been replaced with a 10K.  Again, for most runners that would be no problem - it's not that far. But for me, that is going to be a good challenge.  I never wanted to run that far and yet here I am in the midst of training and challenging myself!

Almost a year in and I went from running 30 seconds at a time to now being able to run for an hour! Went from not even being able to run a half a lap on a track to now being able to run 4 miles easily and sometimes even 5!  My goal is to reach 7 miles here really soon and then start working on getting faster. Seriously, I never ever EVER thought I would be able to even THINK about running 7 miles - I was very happy with the idea of 3. But now 3 is a piece of cake and 7 is within site!

It has been a great and challenging journey but well worth it.  Dear I even say that I look forward to running and feel out of sorts if we can't get out there and run.

*A quick little update on Peter, He's doing pretty good. He's working on half marathon training.  He could have easily completed that in the fall but then suffered a knee injury that put him out of commision all of December and he has had to slow down ever since.  He did run a 15K at a good pace in March (to get a qualifying time for his half) but that resulted in a set back to his knee too.  So he has been slowly getting back in the swing of things.  He is still really fast if that knee would let him run!  He's taking it slow and steady but I know he will do great! *

0 comments: