Thursday, January 7, 2016

Think Kit 2016! In My Eyes!


Back a few years ago I joined Think Kit.  A year end look behind or look ahead type of blog venture. It has been awhile since I've done it, but I have been getting the emails and thought, you know what?  If the mood hits me, I will join in. So here's my first Think Kit for the year:

Show us something from your year through your eyes. Did you see something that took your breath away? Or maybe you just couldn't look away?


That was easy for me to answer. This moment right here:
 


After an incredible first week in Ireland, with many breathtaking views, we found ourselves on a tour to Northern Ireland. We started out the day very early in the morning, with not much change to grab any breakfast. We were also on the last pick up location for the tour bus on what was apparently an overbooked tour.  Meaning, the seats on the bus were very limited.  Peter and I were able to grab the last two seats on the bus, but it was in the very back - sitting next to a bunch of rowdy immature hostile dwelling kids.  It didn't take me long to reconsider our decision to book this tour.  I also have a tendency to get car sick if I can't see where I am going or didn't have some food in my tummy. So needless to say, the morning wasn't starting out too great from where I was sitting and we had a 3 hour bus ride up to Northern Ireland ahead of us. 

  I was excited for a few different things on the tour but one of the things I was not that excited about was our stop at Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge. I think the majority of my excitement was that I wasn't feeling great and could finally get out of that dang bus for a good hour.  It just didn't feel like one of those things that would be a highlight of the day. Boy was I wrong. First off, we had a 1 in 100 (per our tour guide) type of day up there. The weather was just gorgeous!  I wasn't convinced I would go across the bridge, but Peter convinced me I should, so we bought a couple tickets.  The walk from the bus to the bridge was about a mile each way.  The views were just incredible. I was snapping pictures every which way because there was so much beauty all around! We could look out across the ocean and see all the way to Scotland.  Even though there was a slight chill in the air, the views looked more like something that you would see in a tropical place, not so high north in the world!  The bridge was fun and a bit scary all at the same time, but the real enjoyment was just walking around with Peter enjoying the views!  

It was a day that we will never be able to recreate.  We could go visit Ireland 20 more times, heck maybe even 100 more times,  and probably never have as clear or as beautiful of a day again. The tour was long and it required a lot of driving but it was well worth the time to see what we saw and make memories together!     



1 comments:

S said...

Ireland is such a beautiful country! (My father emigrated to the U.S. from there in the 1960s, and all his family -- except his children -- still lives there, mostly in Cork.)