Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Ready for Another School Year


We have started our 7th year of homeschool and I have never been more thankful to be on this path than I am as we start this year! And I don't say that flippantly or arrogantly, it is just something I am extra thankful for the consistency we have with this even if it is extremely difficult to homeschool at times.  We are at least not finding ourselves in complete limbo heading into this next school year and will proceed with business as usual.  

With that being said, we are almost a month in at this point and we are working through the challenges. After being pretty hands off last year with pregnancy and a newborn I have really wanted to be involved this year and make sure they are where they need to be and grasping all their concepts. That is pretty much a full time job each day as I balance the 4 kids and a baby but we are hopefully figuring things out. The kids are doing great, Mom feels overwhelmed :)

We are covering a wide range of Elementary schooling this year.  Malachi is kicking off his final (sniff sniff) year of elementary school.  This should not be too difficult of a year for him as he just expands  on the concepts he's already been working through.  I am excited to see him complete this year of school and move on to a new journey in middle school (wow!) soon!   


Eli is conquering 4th grade this year.  I actually think 4th is going to work out really well for him.  Last year he got brand new 3rd grade that was pretty intense and this year he is doing an older version of the curriculum that basically covers a lot of what he covered in 3rd grade.  Since 3rd was so challenging I think what is going to end up being a lot of review in 4th is going to be great for him as 3rd grade basically felt like a jump right into 4th last year. He is already off to a great start! 


We continue our journey into these later elementary grades with Sabrina this year. She had an awesome year in 2nd and has had updated curriculum all along in her journey through school so I am confident she will handle the challenging curriculum well in 3rd grade. She is already working hard and doing pretty good. It is no easy task to handle the uptick in work from 2nd to 3rd but I know she is up to handling that challenge! 


And of course I am still working with LB. You may or may not remember that last year with the input of her preschool teachers we decided to continue preschool at home last fall. That was 100% the right decision for her and we have completely let her determine the pace of school this year. Preschool started out pretty slow for her but all of a sudden we hit the new year and she was just eager to learn her letter sounds and write her letters and showed all the signs of being ready for kindergarten.  We decided around March to test the waters of kindergarten and she has just bloomed and is flying through her kindergarten curriculum and is now reading and writing in cursive and just blowing me away!  I anticipate it won't be much longer before I post that she is starting 1st grade herself!  

So clearly we have a lot going on over here and we are still navigating the waters of 4 kids in full time school and a baby who is all over the place! This is definitely not the easiest decision I have ever made and it challenges and refines me everyday but I love having my kids home with me and getting to witness for myself every school challenge and every school victory. I am so proud of all of these kids! 


0 comments: