Monday, July 8, 2013

6 Miles!

Writing this one on the blog history books because I finally was able to run 6 miles yesterday with several weeks to spare until our Disneyland 10K!  Again, this was a running milestone I don't think I ever intended to reach until Disney changed my 5K into a 10K.  A year ago, 6 miles felt like an impossible feat but it wasn't impossible at all. It just took a little bit of time to get there.

I completed it at a pace of 11:30 minute miles, 1 hour 9 minutes total.  Not fast by any means but it is just a starting point and the route had several big hills on it, so I'm not going to be disappointed in that time.  From here, my goal is to get myself up to 7 miles sometime in these next couple weeks and then come back down and start working on picking up my speed.

I feel like my attitude towards running has changed so much.  I actually look forward to my runs now and WANT to get out there. I feel out of sorts if we miss a run.  My outlook and attitude with myself has changed so much too. A year ago I had a "can't do it" kind of attitude. "I can't run any farther." "I can't run any faster." "I can't finish that race." but now I just get out there get going. I believe I can run more than 6 miles.  I believe I can run it faster. I believe I can finish lots of races. I believe I can get stronger.

All that to say, that I'm proud of myself for sticking to this and getting better everyday. Running has been a challenge for me but I've come so far and cannot imagine stopping now.  

0 comments: